Friday, August 21, 2009

Avocado puree

Avocado puree is probably pretty self-explanatory, but unless you plan on feeding baby the entire thing in one sitting, you'll want to freeze some for later. Avocado can be a little tricky with it's tendency to brown almost immediately. I figured I'd share the method I used.

Avocado Puree
Makes 6 1 ounce servings

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
breast milk, formula or water

Directions:
Slice the avocado in half and remove the seed. Running a tablespoon along the inside of the skin, gently scoop out flesh and place flat side down on the counter. Slice lengthwise into 1/2 inch slices. Keep 1-2 slices out and place the rest in a freezer bag or plastic container. Take the 2 slices and mash with a fork in a small feeding bowl until smooth. Add breast milk, formula or water until you achieve your desired consistency.

Now with those frozen slices, I just remove 2 and drop in a bowl and nuke for 15-20 seconds and mash and add liquid as described above. It works great for keeping the avocado from turning brown.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Melanie Busbee said...

I bet you are so excited to start feeding solid foods!!

Kami said...

I wish we lived near you so you could make my baby food too!!! I did homemade for a couple of weeks. Then the reality of working 2 jobs and taking care of Braylon full time too hit and I bought a bunch of Earth's Best jars. Oh well - at least its organic, right?!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs