Friday, January 2, 2009

Strawberry cheesecake stuffed french toast

Back to the food blogging!

You know what the BEST thing about 9 months of not drinking is? No it's not that I'm always the designated driver...No hangovers! Upon waking up early, I took quick inventory of the kitchen new year's morning trying to figure out what to make for breakfast. This was what I came up with. I'm happy to have leftovers!Strawberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
1/2 cup strawberry jam or preserves
3 oz. softened cream cheese (I nuked it for 15 seconds)
8 slices of bread (I used a light whole wheat)
4 eggs
1/2 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
dash of cinnamon
2 tsp. oil
Powdered sugar and whipped cream to finish!

Directions:
Spread cream cheese evenly on 4 slices of bread (one side only). Spread the remaining 4 naked slices of bread with strawberry jam. Pair one piece of each type together in sandwich fashion (think strawberry and cream cheese sandwich).

Heat 1 tsp. oil non-stick skillet over medium heat. In a shallow dish, beat together eggs, white sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and milk.

Dip 2 sandwich in the egg mixture and coat both sides. Place into heated skillet and cook 2 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more. Remove and add more oil to pan. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and top with whipped cream. Though it sounds decadent, the damage wasn't too bad. My bread is 50 calories a slice and I figured one serving to work out to around 250 calories.

Oh I got a new lens for Christmas from the hubby and am getting used to it. It was great to be able to shoot without a flash!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Dewi said...

Mmmm, what a great breakfast and looks really delicious, Jeni.
Cheers,
Elra

MamaMin said...

Yum! What lens did you get?

Jeni said...

Thanks! I got the canon 55 prime...DROOOOOOOOOL. I love it. I just need to get some adequate lighting in my kitchen now and that flash is a thing of the past!

Jeni said...

I'm a dummy, it's the 50 mm and they call it a macro. Eh you say tomato...I say here are the specs on it ;)

Peabody said...

Now that's breakfast! Yum.

Heather said...

YUUUUUM!!!! it looks so god. i love strawberries on breakfast :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs