Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Orzo salad

With spring here and summer on the horizon, I find myself grilling a lot and making lots of types of salads as side dishes. M doesn't like mayo so that narrows things down a bit for me. I made this last night and it was excellent. I used what I had on hand and urge you to try the same. It would also be great with the addition of artichoke hearts or some pine nuts!

Orzo salad
1/2 lb orzo
2 TB olive oil
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (diced)

1 large handful of arugula (roughly chopped)
1/2 can of black olives
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 TB garlic powder
1 TB red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup cubed mozzarella (or more if you really want it cheesey)

Cook orzo as package instructs. Drain and return to warm pot. Mix in the olive oil and arugula. Stir until the arugula wilts some and takes on a bright green color. If the orzo and pot have cooled too much, turn on the burner for a minute or so to expedite the wilting. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT mozzarella. Chill. Add cheese once cooled completely.

We had this with some grilled brats (sauteed onions and peppers), grilled asparagus and homebrewed beer (west coast pale ale). We cracked our first bottles last night and it was really really tasty. Thanks Mr. Beer!!!

I had leftovers for lunch today and the salad got heated and was yummy warm too. I love the texture of orzo!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Vanessa Greenway said...

Hello! I was searching for "orzo salad" and you blog link came up. Great recipe! Do you mind if I add you to my blog links? By the way, congratulations on the marriage! Vanessa

Jeni said...

Go right ahead! Thank you and I hope you enjoy the recipe!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs