Thursday, January 29, 2009

White bean and kale soup - future cooking

Last night I made a white bean and kale soup to freeze. I've had good experiences with freezing and reheating soups so I figured I would try a new one. I think soup is underrated in its potential to be a perfectly rounded meal alone.

I actually had enough of this for both of us to bring for lunch today too. I modified it quite a bit from the Better Homes and Gardens Big Book of Italian Recipes, but their recipe was a good base for mine. This is easily made vegetarian by substituting veggie bouillion for the chicken.White Bean and Kale Soup
Makes 6 entree servings
Ingredients:
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
pinch of crushed red pepper
6 cubes chicken bouillion
4 cups water
2 cans cannellini beans (aka great northern beans), rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, with liquid
4 cups raw kale, chopped

Directions:
In a 4 qt or larger pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent. Add garlic, dried herbs and pepper, and saute one minute more. Add bouillion, water, and tomatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Add beans and reduce to low. Simmer 5 minutes. Add kale and simmer 5 minutes more. You can salt to taste, but honestly, I didn't add any. The bouillion provided plenty.
I had a burst of energy last night so I also made enchilada style burritos for dinner and to freeze. That recipe follows tomorrow!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Melanie Busbee said...

I'm not sure if I've ever had kale. How similar is it to collards?

Dewi said...

Jeni, this is really comforting soup. Delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

Heather said...

yumm!!! looks so good!!

Jeni said...

I think the texture and flavor are pretty different from collards personally, but they are from the same leafy green family! You should give it a try!

Anonymous said...

I just made this for my parents and we all loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe - I will definitely be making it again. : )

Allison
urbanresearch.wordpress.com

Jeni said...

Awesome! I always love hearing when people try and enjoy the recipes I post :)

Unknown said...

This was wonderful. Thank you for posting the recipe. I added a couple of chopped carrots, for good measure!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs