Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Crispy Thai tilapia

My aim last night was to make a healthy meal. I thawed out some frozen tilapia filets and searched my pantry for inspiration. This is what I came up with. The flavor is subtle, but I enjoyed it alongside some stirfried garlicky broccoli and sticky jasmine rice.
Crispy Thai Tilapia
2 servings
Ingredients:
2 thawed tilapia filets
1 egg
1/2 tsp sriracha hot sauce
1 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

If you are unfamiliar with Sriracha, familiarize yourself. This is the best tasting, non-vinegary hot sauce around (in my opinion). It's incredibly versatile. You've probably seen it in the asian section of your grocery or you could find it in an asian grocery.It's not usually this dark of a red. Mine is really old (expired 2006!) but I still used it last night and I'm not dead yet...Back to the recipe.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Rinse tilapia and pat dry. Salt and pepper both sides of the fish and set aside. In a large shallow dish, beat egg with sriracha and milk. In another dish, combine breadcrumbs, garlic powder and ginger powder. Stir well.

One at a time, dip tilapia in egg wash and then into the breadcrumbs. Turn and press breading into the filet to coat evenly. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and spray each side of the fish with canola cooking spray. Repeat with other filet. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake 10 minutes more.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Heather said...

mmm i love tilapia and sriracha sauce! looks yummy!

teg said...

That broccoli looks so yummy...even though it's not the focus of the photo, my eyes went straight to it! I love that you're not afraid to use some things that are past their expiration date. My dad takes it a bit too far - there are juice boxes in my parents' fridge that expired in 1995, and he won't let my mom throw them away even though kids have been absent from their house for MANY years. Yikes!
But I am guilty of eating a lot of things after the "best by" date, and like you said, it hasn't killed me yet!

Jeni said...

Thanks! I love sriracha! Tracey, the broccoli was actually my favorite part of the meal. I'm not afraid to use things past date so long as they do not have any animal or derived from animal ingredients (dairy, eggs, meats). It seems to be a good rule of thumb.

Melissa said...

but I still used it last night and I'm not dead yet

Hehehe. I do like Sriracha and I imagine it's good to cook with, but as a condiment I prefer the chili garlic sauce:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hsw1222fc.html

Thai chilis minced into whatever I'm eating is even better. Mmmm buuuurn. :)

Jeni said...

I completely agree with you on the chili garlic sauce. That's the stuff in my fridge and I use it in my spicy hummus a lot too. It's excellent!

The Hungry Mouse said...

Yum! I love tilapia...and sriracha. Thanks for sharing!

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs