Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Cornmeal crusted tilapia and crashed potatoes

Last night's dinner was a very healthy one. With all of my fellow food bloggers trying out Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes (actually she got them from someone else, so I'm not sure if I should attribute them to her or them, alas I'm lazy), I decided to finally give them a try. I think I definitely should have boiled them longer and baked them at an even higher heat (450). When I went to smash them, they didn't smash easy, but instead slid around on the greased pan and just mashed a little. I made an ungraceful mess and it's only fair to share that with you. Pioneer Woman's Crash Hot Potatoes (my adaptation)
Ingredients:
medium red potatoes (I used 6)

olive oil

kosher salt

black pepper

chopped fresh rosemary and parsley

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender (I ended up having to boil for like 20 minutes). Place on a seasoned cooking. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and with a potato masher, gently smash each potato. Drizzle with olive oil, chopped rosemary and parsley, kosher salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. These would have been great topped off with a little bacon and some cheese too. I ate with a dollop of sour cream and it was sooooooo good, despite my mess in the kitchen! Big thanks go to Pam for her endeavor and her adaptation (which I based mine off of).
We ate these with mixed greens (straight out of the can, but heated) and cornmeal crusted tilapia. Despite it not being fried, it was actually very crispy and wonderfully spiced.

Cornmeal crusted tilapia

Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 egg

4 tablespoons yellow cornmeal

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

dash of cayenne

1/2 tsp salt
2 tilapia fillets or loins


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with canola oil cooking spray.
Combine the cornmeal and spices on a plate. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the tilapia fillets in the egg and then in the cornmeal mixture, turn and press breading into the fish to coat all sides. Place on the baking sheet and spray both sides of fish lightly with canola oil. Bake about 20 minutes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Melanie Busbee said...

Your ungraceful mess is my masterpiece!

Penelope said...

It all looks pretty tasty to me! And those Crash Potatos, whew! We love them, even when they're not very nice to look at.

P.S. Thank you so much for the comment. I can't wait to try and feed poor Mark some more Tofu!

Unknown said...

I was with you until you mentioned 'canned mixed greens'. haha
Seriously, I haven't eaten since 7am, and those potatoes look to-die-for.

Jeni said...

Thanks for the compliments on the potatoes. I was going to call them crash and burn potatoes but they weren't well, burned. The canned mixed greens are actually pretty tasty and healthy. I think the brand we get is Glory. They're well seasoned and so quick and easy when you don't feel like cooking every element of dinner from scratch.

Melissa said...

My crash hot potatoes had the same problem yours did (though, as you said, still good). I need to make them again and get them perfect this time.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs