Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stuffed Portobellos

Are they portobellos or portobellas? I've seen them both ways...

Stuffed Portobellos
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:

4 portobello caps (stems removed)
6 oz artichoke hearts (small jar)

2 oz plain non-fat yogurt

4 oz light cream cheese (I used whipped)

1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste

*Optional - 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs mixed with a tablespoon of melted butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a spoon, gently scoop the gills out of each mushroom cap. I cradle the edges of the cap with left hand while scooping at the edge with my right so that the cap doesn't get all tore up (tore up, I crack myself up – that's the southern influence ya'll). Next sprinkle each cap with a little salt. Put those (gill side up) on a cookie sheet or baking dish and bake for about 5 minutes or until you see them sweating. Remove from oven and pour off liquid from each cap. Set aside, but leave oven on.


In a food processor, combine all remaining ingredients (excluding breadcrumbs and butter). Blend until everything is broken down and is smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste as you go. Spread spinach mixture into each mushroom cap. Top each mushroom with breadcrumb mixture and place back in the hot oven. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn broiler on and broil for 3-4 minutes.


I served with a simple arugula salad (arugula, toasted almonds, shaved parmesan and balsamic vinegarette) and baked tilapia parmesan. I baked the tilapia alongside the mushrooms for the same amount of time and broiled until bubbly. I don't use as much mayo and I used fresh basil. Yummy healthy dinner. Be careful with those hot mushrooms, they carry the hottest damn liquid on the planet. I usually cut mine up and allow it to cool while eating my salad!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs