Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pollo relleno?

Before leaving for work yesterday morning, I tossed some frozen chicken tenderloins in a crock pot with a couple of thick slices of onion, a couple of tablespoons of minced garlic, a can of diced tomatoes, a can of diced green chiles, some chili powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. When I came home, wonderful smells were wafting through the kitchen.

M turned on the grill for me while I pulled the chicken out of the crockpot with some of the chunky stuff and mashed it up in a b
owl. I added a couple of ladles of the liquid and some more salt and this is what it looked like.

I threw 4 pasillos (poblanos) on the grill on high heat for about 6 minutes and flipped and cooked for another 5 or so (lost track oops). While they were cooking, I took 2 cups of the remaining liquid in the crockpot and a few of the onions and tomatoes and boiled them. To this I added some salt and a cup of brown rice, covered and simmered 40 minutes. Pulled the peppers off the grill, stuck in a plastic container (which later melted haha, use a paper bag instead or a freezer bag) and let those babies sweat.

After a few minutes I ran them under a trickle of cold water and pulled off the charred skin, pulled out the seeds and the hot membrane and placed in a casserole dish. I then stuffed the peppers with the chicken mixture.
I covered that with a little grated jack and cheddar (maybe 1/4 cup per pepper) and threw in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes. I broiled the last few to get the cheese bubbly. Dinner was yummy.

The rice was undercooked and I ended up adding another half cup (at least) of water and turning the heat up and cooking for another 10 minutes. I am still working out the quirks of my 20+ year old gas stove and it's really a smidgen of a difference between medium and low. It's not precision. I've only managed successful brown rice on it once haha. After the extra cooking this time though it was good!

Oh and as a side note, the frozen sweet corn at trader joes is awesome. It's juicy and sweet and tastes like fresh corn. Not at all like the starchy stuff I'm used to from the frozen food section.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs