Thursday, September 25, 2008

Final Farmer's Market Feast

Last night as I was driving home, I stopped by the Durham Farmer's Market. It turns out that last night was the last Wednesday this year they'll be open so I was glad I stopped. I bought some fingerling potatoes, tomatoes, filet beans and a sweet italian pepper.
Once I got home I decided to try to use all of my ingredients, along with some marinating chicken thighs, in one meal as a tribute to the final Wednesday of the season. I started with a tomato salad. Tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil from my herb garden. I made green beans with lemon, goat cheese and garlic. I also roasted the fingerlings with fresh rosemary from the garden. I just sauteed the chicken thighs. Recipes below.
Roasted Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes
Makes 4 side servings
Ingredients:
1/2 lb of fingerling potatoes, washed and sliced in half lengthwise
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
1 tsp kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper to taste (1/2 tsp or so)
1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400. Pour oil in a large bag and add potatoes. Secure close and shake to coat evenly. Add salt, pepper and rosemary and shake to coat again. Roast potatoes for 20-25 minutes.

Filet Beans (Haricots Vert) with Chevre and Lemon
Makes 4 side servings
Ingredients:
1/2 lb filet beans, washed with stems removed
1 sweet yellow pepper julienned (optional)
juice of 1/2 lemon (1-2 tsp)
zest of 1 lemon (optional)
2 oz chevre/soft goat cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
Heat oil in large saute pan over medium heat. Add beans and saute, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add salt and garlic and saute for 2 minutes more. Add lemon juice, stirring and scraping bottom of pan to deglaze. Remove from heat. Toss beans with lemon zest and crumbled cheese before serving. This would be great with some slivered almonds, but I didn't have any :(
The tangy green beans were well balanced by the sweetness of the tomatoes and the earthy sweetness of the potatoes. I'll enjoy the leftovers for lunch today!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Kelly Spitzer said...

Beautiful dinner!

Kelly
Flavor a Deux

Kami said...

Jeni,

Hi there! The food on your blog looks fabulous! It is nice to meet some other expecting moms through BBC! I will be following you on your journey from little ol' Durango!

Anonymous said...

Those roasted potatoes look delicious - I've been making some with my own finds from the farmers' market. So sad that the season for the markets is ending!

7h30 said...

I've always seen those potatoes in the market, just never knew what i could do with them. They almost look like Jo-Jo fries :) thanks for the recipe.

Jeni said...

Thanks everyone! Fingerlings are great because they are small and easy to get a little crisp, and they have this wonderful slightly sweet flavor. Unlike any other tater I've had!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs