Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Feast

For new years eve, my husband got off work earlier then expected and we opted to dine out. We had a fantastic fixed price dinner at Pop's. Though they were booked throughout the restaurant, there were bar tables right next to the kitchen available. I really enjoyed watching the kitchen staff working as a well oiled machine. They didn't seem at all stressed!

The theme was "a night in Tuscany". What I do enjoy about a limited menu is that it forces me to try something I wouldn't normally opt for. I had chicken liver pate, rabbit ragu on an herbed parpadelle, "hunters" chicken with wild mushrooms on creamy polenta, and for dessert, tiramisu. Everything I ate, in its entirety, except the chicken liver pate. Liver still just isn't my thing.

On to new years day. I planned on cooking with the day off work and I opted for a roasted chicken recipe that takes 5 hours. I wasn't dissappointed! The roasted potatoes I gave a try were from Pioneer Woman's site. The collard greens were my own concoction (a secret I'm not sharing) and the blackeye peas were from a can, but swimming in butter. Dinner was tasty! Again, so happy to have the leftovers. Rather then reproduce the recipes here I'll just link to them. I followed them pretty close, I just doubled the amount of garlic and added a tad more salt. We like strong flavor in our house!Jeni's New Years Day Feast:
Rotisserie Style Roast Chicken
Kay's Roasted Potatoes
Blackeye Peas
Jeni's Collard Greens

Jeni's Collard Greens (okay so I lied, here it is)

Makes 6 servings
Ingredients:
2-3 lbs fresh collards, cleaned and broken into bite sized pieces
1 red onion chopped
6 slices bacon
8 cubes chicken boullion
10 cups water
1 tsp crushed red pepper (this amount gives a nice kick so you may want to reduce to 1/2 tsp for the lighter hearted)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crumbly. Remove bacon and drain off all but 1-2 tb of the grease. Add onion and crushed red pepper to pot and cook until onion is translucent.

Add boullion and 1 cup of water. Scrape brown bits from bottom of pot as the water deglazes the pot. Add the remainder of the water, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.

Add collards and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Crumble cooled bacon. Drain all but but about 1/2 cup of water from pot. Add bacon to pot and stir to mix through. Cook another 3 minutes on low. Salt to taste.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Malena said...

I WILL make this, it sounds and look incredible!!!

Jeni said...

It all was really good! You'll probably want to cut back a little on the red pepper for the little ones :)

Malena said...

I just made the potatoes for dinner along side a herb rubbed tenderloin. The potatoes were really yummy but I kinda eyeballed the liquids and although soft and tasty they never got crispy...Hubby loved them!
We just went shopping this afternoon too, and I picked up a roaster chicken, I'm doing the rotisserie chicken next! Thanks for always giving me meal ideas!

Jeni said...

The potatoes were good, but nothing special I felt. The chicken on the other hand, you're in for a treat. It's worth every hour in that oven!!! Let me know what you think!

Malena said...

The chicken was to die for! I want to make it tomorrow again ;)

Jeni said...

Awesome, I'm glad you liked it! Aside from handling the slimy thing, it's pretty easy too huh? I think that will be my new "go to" roasted chicken recipe!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs