Monday, July 14, 2008

Spicy hummus

I've been told by a few people that they really love my hummus. I made a spicy version yesterday that was really tasty. I thought I'd share the recipe.

Jeni's spicy hummus
Makes a lot
Ingredients:
2 cans chickpeas (or garbanzo beans)
3 small cloves of garlic (outer skins and woody ends removed)
4 tbsp tahini (sesame seed puree)
4 tbsp lemon juice (I used the dreaded plastic squeezy guy cause that's what I had)
1/2 cup olive oil (you could split half this liquid with water if you wanted)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp hot chili sauce

Directions:
Place first 4 ingredients in food processor and puree until things are pretty chopped up. Slowly pour in olive oil while continuing to process. Once hummus is smooth and creamy, add the salt, pepper and chili sauce. I like to serve with a little pool of olive oil and a sprinkling of paprika.We had this on a platter with tabbouleh, carrots and pita bread for lunch and it was very yummy.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

MAG said...

Hi!!! I just found your blog and I really like it :)

MoCookbooksEtc said...

Yumm! This sounds sooooo good and I must try it!

Thistlemoon said...

That looks great! I love spicy hummus! Try some harissa next time! That sis my favorite spiciness to put in hummus!

Giff said...

Made this last night - or as close as I could. For some reason our supermarket was selling "tahina" - an israeli tahini mixture - but not straight tahini. I'm going to have to hunt it down at a market in the city and try again with the added accuracy. Still, the proportions are nice and it was yummy.

Jeni said...

Excellent, I'm glad you like it :)

Jenn - I've never heard of harissa. I'll have to find some and check it out!

Giff said...

I had to come back to this post and say that I've been making homemade hummus ever since you posted this. Why did I ever buy for the store?!! Thanks for showing me the way. :)

Jeni said...

It's so easy and so much cheaper isn't it???? The only downside is cleaning the food processor hahaha!

Laura said...

I bet hot chili sauce would add a kick. My persian/armenian aunt's secret is a TON of cumin and garlic. I heart hummus.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs