Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jalapeno bacon corn muffins

I was on a corn kick yesterday. I made a corn chile chowder (recipe to come) and jalapeno bacon corn muffins. I adapted a recipe for northern style cornbread from the Joy of Cooking. These are spicy and just slightly sweet!

Jalapeno Bacon Corn Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp garlic powder
handful of parsley, chopped
2 tbsp diced jalapenos (I used the jarred)
4 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 eggs
2/3 cup skim milk
2/3 cup buttermilk (I subbed letting 2/3 tb of vinegar sit in 2/3 cup of milk for 5 minutes)
2 tbsp oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add wet ingredients, parsley, jalapeno and bacon to bowl of dry ingredients.
Mix just until moistened. Add oil and stir to combine. Pour into muffin cups. Bake 10–12 minutes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Malena said...

THese look so yummy! I'm going to try these, but without the hot peppers, so the kids can eat them, hopefully they'll be as good. What is the vinegar trick?

Jeni said...

The vinegar curdles the milk some and is a good substitution in any recipe that calls for buttermilk (if you don't have it, which I usually don't). I wouldn't use it in place of buttermilk in say, buttermilk pancakes, but it's a great trick for most other stuff.

The trick is to mix 1 tb vinegar per cup of milk and allow to sit and sour for 5 minutes.

Good luck and I'd suggest a little grated cheese in lieu of the peppers for the kids.

Hayley said...

these look great! Bacon does make everything better :)

muddywaters said...

I'm going to file this one away. I need to try this for a breakfast on the go.

take care,
muddy

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs