Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tofu Parmesan

I don't know if you're a fan of tofu, but my vegetarian upbringing has me craving it every once in awhile. Actually most people I know that don't like tofu, have never had it cooked well. Forget what you think your opinion of it is. I strongly encourage you to try this method. It would go over well even with kids (minus the marinara maybe). How can you not like anything that's breaded, fried and topped with cheese though?

Tofu Parmesan
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
14 oz. extra firm tofu
1/2 c flour
2 eggs
2 tb milk
1/2 c italian or regular breadcrumbs
1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp grated parmesan
3-4 tb canola oil
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or italian cheese blend
1/2 cup of your favorite marinara

Instructions:
Drain tofu and press to get out excess water. Slice tofu in 1/4–1/2 inch thick slices widthwise. You should end up with about 10 slices.

I know it isn't pretty or even appetizing at this point and this is how most people think of tofu, but it will get there, I PROMISE!

Measure flour into a bowl or on a plate big enough to fit a tofu slice. Beat egg and milk together in another bowl. Mix all breadcrumbs, spices and salt in another dish.

Take one tofu slice and dip it into the flour. Coat tofu on all sides with flour. Next dip into the egg mixture. Take special care not to get any huge booger-esque egg on the tofu. If you mixed it well enough it shouldn't be a problem, but if you're like me, you'll want to avoid getting those large pieces of slime in the breading bowl. Finish with coating in the breadcrumbs, again on all sides. Repeat with remaining tofu.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. If your pan isn't large enough for all slices, use only 1/2 the oil the first round. Gently place tofu slices into pan and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes.
Flip and cook for 2 minutes more.
Preheat oven to 350. Remove tofu to cookie sheet and top with shredded cheese. Bake until melted or browned to your liking (about 5 minutes).
Plate with some pasta and veggies, top with the marinara and dinner is done.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Michael @ Herbivoracious.com said...

Looks good! I love tofu but never made it like that. Here's my current favorite way of enjoying it, steamed in a pouch with lots of aromatic vegetables and spices.

Pam said...

I am not a huge fan of tofu... I think it's the texture. This recipe makes me want to try it agian! It looks really tasty - crunchy on the outside and gooey inside. Nice photos.

Melanie Busbee said...

You sure do make tofu look good. Yum yum!

Courtney said...

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago on Food Gawker and just got around to making it a few days ago. Incredible! I'm trying out vegetarianism and this was my first attempt at cooking with tofu and it was great. In fact, I think it tasted even better as leftovers the next day-- it gave the tofu a better texture (though I accidentally bought silken tofu, so that may have something to do with it). Thanks for the recipe, it's definitely a keeper!

Jeni said...

Thanks for coming back and posting your feedback after you tried it out! I'm glad you liked it and yes I loved my leftovers. Though they're not as crispy, the flavors seem to sink in more after sitting. Good luck with your vegetarian venture! I know it can be difficult!

Haley said...

We would like to feature your tofu recipe on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Haley

blog.keyingredient.com/

Shelby said...

oh, I like you have my cravings for tofu. I too accredit it to my vegetarian upbringing. This looks delicious and I am bookmarking it. I will have to try this when I have a meal with my mom & dad! Yummy!

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

This looks wonderful...!
As spring approaches I find myself wanting to eat more vegetarian options.
I love tofu, but this look like a wonderful way to prepare it that makes it delicious to those that are not fond of its texture.(Like my family...lol...)

Merci for sharing this recipe, I think my family will be happily surprised.
Also, love your blog.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting way to use tofu! I definitely plan to try this. Thanks!

zephyr said...

Improve the texture of the tofu by freezing it the thawing. Squeeze out the water and try marinating it in no- chicken broth with fresh sage!

Amanda said...

just gave it a try, it was delicious! this will probably become a regular for me. thank you!

Unknown said...

WOW (impressed look). Your tofu dish looks so yummy.

Here I bought a sauce pack for Sauce for Mapo Tofu so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! I am going to make it tonight. Do you think marinating the tofu slices in olive oil, garlic and fresh Italian herbs would be worth it?
Thank you for making making a tofu dish that even tofu avoiders could love!

Jenny-Jenny said...

It looks really good. I am of the group you speak of who has tried tofu done ... well.. in not so tasty looking ways. I think this looks so worth a try!

Oh, I just noticed this is pretty old. My husband just linked me to it. His tastes are maturing. hehe

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs