Monday, February 2, 2009

Corn fritters

These corn fritters have been a favorite of mine and a huge hit whenever I serve them, for years. The recipe is adapted from the Joy of Cooking. If you don't have this book, I highly recommend it. Joy has so many great basic recipes that are super flexible.

I served these with a chili sour cream (sour cream mixed with garlic, salt, hot sauce, chili powder, cumin and paprika) in my superbowl assortment on Sunday.Corn Fritters (adapted from the Joy of Cooking)
Makes 24 fritters
Ingredients:
16 oz. frozen corn, thawed and drained
2 egg yolks
2 tb flour
1 tb sugar
1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 egg whites
2 tb oil

Directions:
Combine first 8 ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix well. Gently mash corn a little with a fork until it's a little pulpy. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until peaks form. Gently fold into corn mixture to make light and fluffy. DO NOT OVER MIX.
Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat and drop in corn mixture by the heaping tablespoon. Cook 2 minutes on the first side (until golden brown).
Then turn and cook until golden brown on the other side. I'd like to tell you I never overcook these, but as you can see, I always have a few really dark ones. Even those taste good. Enjoy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

teg said...

Those sound REALLY good...YUM! I don't even like sour cream, but the chili sour cream looks good, too. Hope you had fun cooking for Superbowl Sunday!

Dewi said...

Jeni,
When I was growing up we eat corn fritters a lot, we didn't eat them as a snack, but a part of a real meal. Rice, vegetables, and this corn fritter as a substitute of animal protein.

I have that book, how did I miss it? I must look for it, and try! Have you tried the Indonesian version? OMG, it's out of this world. Looking at list of ingredients you have here, of course your version is out of the world too!
Cheers,
Elra

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

Wow, these sound SO good. And they look fantastic too. I've never made corn fritters before- they're going on my to-try list!

Love the name of your blog too :)

MyLastBite said...

Beautiful photography

Heather said...

ohhh. those sound amazing. i'll bet they'd be so, so good with some crab imperial over them!

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

Chili sour cream - I love it! These look so delicious. Will have to make these as a side dish to my weekly roast chicken soon.

Jeni said...

Thanks everyone! Joy of Cooking is a great resource! The original recipe calls for fresh corn on the cob and I bet that's even more tasty, but I've always made it with thawed frozen corn because it's so simple!!

Rico said...

Look really tasty delicious and easy to make ...yum yum

trish said...

hi! i came across your blog entry while searching for a corn fritter recipe on tastespotting. i made them tonight, and I COULD JUST KISS YOU FOR POSTING THIS RECIPE!!!! thank you so much :) i made some slight changes (just 'cause this seems like a pretty flexible recipe!), and i'm about to do a quick post on the ones i made. thanks so much once again!

Teddie Ann said...

WOW - This is my fist time on your blog, I was searching for fritters, and I am impressed! I feel like I've found happy. (Sorry, I'm a big cheese-ball lol)

Liz said...

I've made these from the Joy of Cooking the other day. I'm nannying for two boys and found some leftover corn. I wanted to make them again but didn't have the recipe. Thanks for posting a similar one. They are sooo easy and delicious.

Halley, M.A.S., RD, LD said...

These look great! I'm gonna try them asap!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs