Monday, May 12, 2008

This weekend

Between the nephew's birthday and mother's day, this weekend felt like we were moving non-stop. It started with an early trip to the Durham Farmer's Market. For 15 bucks I got a bunch of swiss chard, a bag of arugula, a bunch of turnips, and a quart of strawberries.

These turned out to be the most disappointing strawberries I've ever had. I was completely shocked. 3/4 of them were completely mushy and slimy. Pretty much only the ones on top were edible. I don't remember which farm I got them from. It's my own fault for not being more descriminating. It was so busy and crowded there and I felt rushed.

At the nephew's birthday party, we had some wonderful strawberries picked from McAdams farm in Efland though so I know good strawberries can be had! We also went to
their tee-ball game which was a blast. We spent most of the day outside on Saturday and I landed myself with a nice pre-honeymoon sunburn (again my own fault).

Sunday I made 2 frittatas to take to my mother's for brunch. My brother made buttermilk pancakes. God they were sooooo good. Real maple syrup to boot!!!


Frittata 1 was a trial of an allrecipes frittata. I followed this recipe close and I would advise not to cover the sliced potatos for 10 minutes and walk away. After about 5 minutes, I checked mine and they had burned on one side so make sure to check and flip if you
use this one. I used chopped red onions instead of green and sliced some for the top before broiling. I finished mine under the broiler because I found cooking on low for 7 minutes to not be nearly long enough. This was an extremely dense frittata but very tasty.

The other frittata I made was a variation with white button mushrooms, spinach and sundried tomatoes. I used crumbled goat cheese in the place of cheddar on this one. I didn't care for this one as much. The goat cheese was too strong. I probably used about a half a cup.

Mushroom, Spinach and Sundried Tomato Frittata

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs