Monday, May 5, 2008

Sunday frittata

With the honeymoon only a few weeks away, I'm finding the idea of being in a swimsuit to be utterly depressing. A few years ago I did the South Beach diet and was moderately successful. I decided that in a last-ditch effort to slim down these next couple of weeks, I'd try to lower the starch intake. I revived a recipe I used for breakfast when on South Beach. It takes a bit of time to make, but it keeps for a week and eliminates turning to cereal or toast for breakfast. Oh and it's way more nutritious.

Sunday Frittata
Makes 8-10 servings
Ingredients:
10 eggs
1/2 c Cheese (your choice, I used sharp cheddar)
1 thawed pkg of frozen chopped spinach (sometimes I use diced sauteed zucchini)
4 oz sliced mushrooms (didn't have these, so I used 1
small chopped red bell pepper instead)
1 medium diced onion
1 tbsp olive oil (or canola)
a splash of non-fat milk

Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

After thawing the frozen spinach, squeeze out all the excess water. I always find this to be a slightly messy process, so if anyone has any great method for it, please let me know. In an iron skillet that is oven safe, saute the diced onion and mushrooms with a little salt and pepper in the olive oil over med–medhigh heat until the onions are translucent. If you're using zucchini, throw it in the mix too. Pull veggies off heat and move to a bowl to cool slightly. Keep skillet warm.

In a large bowl, whisk or beat the 10 eggs until well blended. Add about tsp. salt, some garlic and ground black pepper (the spices really are to your own taste). I use more salt when using spinach in lieu of zucchini. Mix in the splash of milk (a couple of tbs). Add all veggies and stir. You'll probably
find the spinach clumps together. Use a fork to kind of break it up.

Add egg mixture to iron skillet over medium heat. DO NOT STIR. Preheat broiler with the rack about 8 inches away. Let cook over med–medhigh heat until you see the edges start to pull away (slightly firm). Add the cheese and put in the oven under the broiler. Broil until lightly browned/cheese is bubbly. Usually takes about 4 minutes or so. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
Slice and serve. I made some fresh pico to add and that was a good added kick!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

MamaMin said...

Looks great! (As did the skydiving!) To deal with frozen spinach, I thaw it in the microwave, dump it into a strainer, hold the strainer over the sink and press down on the spinach through the strainer.

Jeni said...

As stupid as this sounds, I have never thought to use a strainer...DUH! Thanks Min!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs