Friday, June 20, 2008

Fog Harbor Fish House - San Francisco

My first full day in San Francisco was leisurely. I woke up at 5 am (still on east coast time) and got an early start. Around 9 I decided to walk up to Fisherman's Wharf. I stayed at a cute little hotel in the heart of the best shopping and a 5 minute walk to the convention center. If ever in San Francisco, check out The Mosser. The room was tiny, but clean, modern and super cheap for the location. And really, how much time do you want to spend in the room, ya know?The walk was about 2 miles through chinatown and north beach, and it was a perfectly sunny day.
On to the review of the restaurant I ate at for lunch, the Fog Harbor Fish House. There are probably 20 different eateries on Pier 39 and I'm not sure what made me pick this one. Perhaps the fact that it was less likely to have loud children and it was elevated, making for a nice view.I was in the mood for something seafoodesque and lots of veggies. The best veggies in the country are to be had in California and I always eat tons of salads when I visit. I was looking for a salad with grilled shrimp, but none was to be had (not entree size anyways). I decided on the crab melt sandwich. My friendly waiter offered up the sauteed veggies in lieu of the fries and I was thrilled to have the option at no additional cost. The crab melt was on fresh yummy sourdough, piled with fresh crab meat, a tiny bit of mayo, green onions, tomatoes (the only ones I saw my entire visit in the city) and melted jack. The sandwich was wonderful. The sourdough bread had the perfect combination of buttery crispiness. It matched very well to the mild sweetness of the crab and the zip of the green onions. The sauteed veggies were tender crisp, perfectly seasoned with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. The quality of the food was great, attentive and helpful service, the view was fantastic (that's Alcatraz in the distance) and no loud children were to be had.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs