Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tamale dinner

Last night, I pulled my cooked frozen tamales (cooked on Sunday, recipe here) from the freezer and steamed for 15 minutes. Then I removed them carefully from the husks and topped them with a quick chile sauce (I cheated though, mock recipe follows) and garnished with some crumbled queso. I served these with a side of calabacitas (recipe to come in another post), and a lime wedge. The resulting dinner was mildly spicy and light!
Quick chile sauce for tamales
Ingredients and instructions:
Open one store bought can of enchilada sauce and pour into microwaveable covered container. Add 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp sugar and as much cayenne as you think you can handle. I used a few shakes of cayenne. Stir to mix through. Next dissolve 1 tbsp corn starch in 1 1/2 tbsp of water and mix into the chile sauce. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave one minute more.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Melanie Busbee said...

Yes folks. These tamales are as good as they look. So much flavor, and very juicy chicken. The sauce was spicy and the perfect compliment. Thanks for dinner Jeni!

Jeni said...

You are so kind! I'm looking forward to lunch leftovers today but I realized I left out the cheese on all the tamales for us!!! No puede ser!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs