Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween block party - Northgate Park, Durham

Friday night I had the pleasure of being introduced to a new tradition for Northgate Park Halloween enthusiasts – the Halloween block party. Organizers closed off a block of Elgin Street and set up festivities. I had read about it in the neighborhood listserve, but wasn't thinking of really going until a marching band went marching by the house. Curiousity got me, or rather it got all of us. I scooped my bowl of candy into a big plastic bag and headed down to Elgin.

On schedule for that evening were fire dancers, live bluegrass, a marching band, fortune telling, stilt walkers, a haunted maze for kiddies and lots of other activities and CANDY. We settled in front of the bluegrass band and enjoyed listening to them, drinking a few adult beverages (not me, I was strictly on a candy high), and meeting neighbors. We were treated to an awesome tap-dancer during one of the songs, and there was a Sarah Palin look-a-like reminding us to vote during intermission that gave Tina Fey a run for her money.

The block party was a huge success so far as I could tell and I can't wait until we can take our little gal for all the kiddie fun. I feel really lucky to live in such a fantastic neighborhood with some really great people!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs