Friday, January 30, 2009

Chicken milanese and pickled onion pistachio salad

Ever since I saw this post over at Smitten Kitchen last week, I've kept it in the back of my mind. If you've never checked out Deb's site, you're missing out. I just love her saturated photography and adventurous cooking. Last night I had chicken thighs thawed and decided it was time to give this recipe a whirl. I made several modifications due to what I had on hand.

I used thighs, not breasts
I used parmesan, not romano
I used romaine, not escarole
I used pistachios, not hazelnuts
I followed all other parts of the recipes exactly. This was a big hit with my hubby, though I felt the onions and dressing a little salty. Again, I think my tastebuds have been a little sensitive to salt lately though. The chicken was excellent, moist, crispy and not greasy. And despite taking several detours with the salad, the sweetness of the pistachios was wonderful with the earthy parmesan, pickled onions and slightly bitter romaine. The combination of textures between the chicken and salad were great! I also loved that a lot of this can be made ahead of time. I'll definitely make this again.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Dewi said...

Delicious, Jeni!
And, the pickled onion sounds so good.
Cheers,
Elra

Heather said...

holy cow. i don't know where to start. this all sounds so, so good.

Stacey Snacks said...

Hey Jeni,
Haven't visted in a while. Hope you are feeling well!

Did you watch that new food tv star make this recipe? Anne Something. She is terrific, and I loved the chicken Milanese! I make it with veal.

Glad to see you are still cooking!
Stacey

Melissa said...

I use thighs far more than breasts now. Tastier. And Milanese is such a simple and oh so tasty way to prepare chicken (or pork). Deb's salad seems like a good pairing as well. Batali has a good way with Milanese, using pork chops, served with a roasted red pepper sauce.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs