Monday, July 21, 2008

Piedmont - Foster Street, Durham

Saturday we ventured downtown for lunch to Piedmont. We had been there one other time with friend of ours. Though I loved what I had, the hubby was less enthusiastic. I thought I could persuade him to try it again during lunch. Especially since lunch is a much more budget-friendly option.

From what I've heard of Piedmont, they try to utilize, as much as possible, local ingredients and meats and they produce most of their own sausage and the like inhouse. I have great appreciation for this, and for these reasons, their menu changes nightly.

On the weekends we discovered, lunch is not available, but brunch is. I ordered a local greens salad with smoked chicken and avocado in a shallot vinaigrette. The chicken is a smoke-lover's dream. Moist and smokey and it paired well with the creamy avocado and mild, but slightly tangy vinaigrette. My salad was $8.Hubby ordered the shrimp and grits. These were the best I've ever tasted. Huge and plentiful shrimp with nice coarse cut grits. It was flooded with thick cut bacon (the thickest I've ever seen), hearty mushrooms and green scallions. The grits were cheesy and it was perfectly seasoned. The portion size was great too. At $14, it was the priciest item on the brunch menu, but it was well worth every bit of that.
We were both very pleased with our brunch and I am sure we'll be returning to Piedmont again soon!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs